Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Yesterday I went for a walk with Lynn through the countryside of Mumba as the sun was setting over the fields and mountains. It was so breathtakingly beautiful. As we were walking, we drew a crowd of small children (I told you, I'm famous over here ha ha) who followed us for about half a mile. We decided to play with them a little and as we walked we would randomly turn around real fast and chase them down the road. They're screams followed by instant laughter was music to our ears. They then jumped right back in line to follow us. We did this a couple times before they stopped following us : ).

Camp staff training begins in 3 days. We will spend the weekend training all of the counselors on how to work with the kids and Monday we head out to our first village to begin three weeks of teaching, playing, running, bucket baths, squatty potties, sleeping in the dirt, and ugali twice a day. This is going to be awesome.

One of the coolest things about being in Tanzania so far is trying to figure out the people and culture (lifelong journey I think). Everything here seems so backwards from home and nothing makes sense. I find myself shaking my head most of the time and going "whaaaaaaat?" Here is a quote I journaled this week from a book that I'm reading that makes me smile every time I think to myself, "What have I gotten myself into?!":
"Those who step off the road to discover, to learn, will realize the awakening of all five senses. Yes, only the curious would see and hear, smell and touch, and, with every step and glance, be rewarded for their willingness to investigate beyond the glade."
There is so much out here in the world to see, taste, smell, and experience.I want to encourage you to step out, be brave, follow your feet, and see where you end up, because it is SO worth it! And no worries, God's got ya.

Peace Rafiki

1 comment:

  1. It IS so worth it.

    "What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies."
    Romans 8:31-33

    ReplyDelete